Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Let's G.O to a G.T.

So this is one of my fave bits. I did this on my second time out. Opened with it and everyone loved it. Got the laughs at all the right places and everything. For the unitiated, "G.T." or "Get Together" has been a Karachi phenomenon for the last two or so years. It is basically a pathetic attempt at making a bunch of friends hanging out together sound cooler. First time I heard the term I did a double-take and it still drives me up the wall when people use it. So here it is:

“G.T.” Have you heard of this? Short for “Get Together”. Are we now so busy that we have to abbreviate “Get Together” so that we can free up that extra half-second of time for…what…scratching ourselves. This linguistic laziness is bound to get out of hand. Soon we will be abbreviating everything. You meet someone at work and it wont be “Hey, how you doing” and “Fine thanks, yourself?” It’ll be “HHYD?” “FTY!” And then the de-evolution will continue until we are communicating like cave-people. Go up to a girl and *snort and thump chest*.

The end bit I actually snort and thump my chest of course. Doesn’t really translate too well into print, but this is exactly how I wrote it out to memorize it so it’s kind of nice to put this out there. I’m still really proud of this bit, more so than most anything else I’ve written to date.

Isn’t that always the case? The first thing you publish, paint or perform will always be better than anything you ever do again. Frustrating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home