Sunday, April 09, 2006

CONFESSIONS OF A TRAVELLING COMEDIAN...

Sunday afternoon, and I just got back from a breakfast up in the mountains under a gun metal sky. Drops of rain as fat as raisins slapping down around me as I sipped a cup of tea. All is right with the world.

Wasn't that way last night though:

My recurring nughtmare came true. Got on stage, did the first bit. No one laughed. Later sat with FM89 and we realized what went wrong. Bad sound, bad lights and an auditorium that was too damned big.

Today will be better. Tonight 6 speakers, a spotlight and two cans of Red Bull will make up for what went wrong last night.

Tonight I am not leaving Islamabad unless I get a standing ovation. That's my promise to myself and my promise to FM89, who have done so much for me and had faith in me when I didn't these last two days.

The sky looks like a bruise. Steel wool clouds scraping the tops of the city.

I can do this.

---------------------------------------------
ADDENDUM

Did it right the second time.

Am back in Karachi, sweat soaked and suffering a plague of mosquitoes.
Good God the second show was in stark contrast to the first. 6 speakers. Spotlight. All the energy I had to give.

Actually had to stop mid-show for a few seconds because a girl was laughing so hard she had trouble breathing. And I signed autographs.

What more can I ask for. Really.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dan Berger said...

Sami, it is so great that you are doing stand-up comedy in Pakistan. Keep up the good work and the laughter!

9:47 AM  
Blogger atrophying said...

congrats! what'd you write as an autograph?

1:01 AM  
Blogger insiyasyed said...

you and W so need to take us all out nandoing in her new car! ;)

yay for everything! :)

8:19 AM  
Blogger insiyasyed said...

shall ask the owner of the trendy car to plan one soon! ;)

or rather, will forward your email and get back soon enough! :)

yay! :)

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home