Monday, September 05, 2005

Prolific to the max...

Yesterday was a good day, writing-wise. I have one every few days and yesterdays was the best in a while. Had been thinking of how to flesh out some topics and started considering the whole "Pakistani's Who Travel" bit on my drive home from work. Given that I get stuck in Shahra-E-Faisal traffic for close to 40 minutes on my drive back daily, that gave me alot of time. By the time I pulled into my garage, fifteen minutes of new material had composed itself in my head. And alot of it is very very strong stuff. Rushed inside, kissed the wife and then much to her chagrin sat down and started transcribing right away. I just couldn't risk forgetting anything. Half-an-hour later I had the language and cadence and everything worked out.

Saad Haroon, the guy who founded Black Fish and is working on Stand-up of his own, is starting an Open-Mic night in Karachi. Will post details when they become available. Will probably try out some of the new stuff there.

----------------------

In other news: A friend who works in T.V. has offered to record my show when it happens (looking at mid-November) and put it on air. Not sure though.

Yesterday I was hit by my first, and definetely not last, bout of panic. Was reading some articles by NY-based comedians and realized that all comics bomb every now and then. Even the best in the business, Seinfeld, Chris Rock, etc. had some bad shows. Shows when the audience isn't receptive or you screw up your timing or worse...forget the material. I've been lucky in that the two or three small bits I've done to open Black Fish shows with have done really well. But not sure how much of that is due to the energy and support audiences give Black Fish. It would be quite awful if my first solo show is the one on which my luck changes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Abbas Halai said...

keep posting about the mic night. didn't realize you were gonna do a solo show. good luck with that.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Sami said...

Met Saad today, and he mentioned that it might be on the 21st or the 26th of this month. More details as they come...

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home