Thursday, April 20, 2006

CORPORATE WHORE...

I have made a decision (add your own dramatic drum-based sound effect here):

Black Fish has signed a contract with Telenor that will see us doing performances pretty much exclusively for them for the next three months. Saturdays and Sundays. Much money involved.

This has, ofcourse, gotten my indie anti-corporate sentiments in a knot. I was never comfortable with doing so many corporate shows and it's the reason why I have tried to keep my Stand-Up free of corporate sponsorship (I know I am doing shows with FM89 but I don't consider them a "corporation" per se mainly because of the quality of their work ethic. They aren't making money off me and we are keeping branding to a minimum). So how should I justify the extreme corporate-whoring of Black Fish?

Subsidizing. That's how I am thinking of it. Doing this gives me the money to subsidize my Stand-up. I can focus on writing a little more knowing I have money in the bank now. I can use that money to finance a trip to either the Montreal Comedy Festival or the Aspen Comedy Festival in 2007. I can even afford to finance the next solo-shows out of my own pocket (the last one nearly left me broke).

So I am renaming 2006 as The Year of Corporate-Whoring. I will stop feeling guily about this and instead revel in corporate shows and swimming-pools full of money. And in return I can maybe do some good Stand-Up for the people who love to watch it.

So that's that.

--------------------------------------

In other news: I have over half an hour of new comedy done. By my estimate I will have a complete hour ready in a month or so. However, due to the Black Fish commitment I can't do a new solo-show till July, so my new tentative date for a brand spanking new solo-show with all new material is second week July. Thinking of making it more than one night this time. Maybe a two or three night show.

Whee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home