Saturday, October 07, 2006

AND IT'S DONE...

God what a great audience. What a great goddam show.

Got to LUMS straight from the airport. Was already kinda burnt out because of not getting much sleep over the past week or so. I meet the people who are hosting the whole show, members of the LUMS dramatics group, "Dramaline."

I check the auditorium space, marvel at the huge poster for my show with "SOLD OUT" written across the top and then go sit in an empty class room for 3 hours with 2 cans of red bull and stack of cigarettes and start structuring my material.

Basically I have all my stuff written down on individual pages, organized by topic and I lay them all down around me and then start shuffling them till I get an order I like. Ended up deciding to risk it by doing a bunch of new stuff as well. By the time that was done still had 45 minutes to go before the show started and so just sat in a corner and fought back panic-attacks.

The MC called me up at 10:15 on the dot, infront of an auditorium packed with close to 300 people jammed right up against the stage and I just launched into it. Did an hour of the best set I have ever had. They got every bit, they laughed at the right times, their reactions helped me pace myself and they weren't even thrown when near the end I had a two second brain fart and had to riff for a but before I got back on track.

Just a solid one-nighter. The best kind I could have hoped for.

Thank you LUMS. Now if you'll excuse me I need to pass out. Apparently they recorded audio as well as video of the show so will be posting that at samishah.com as soon as they send it across.

9 Comments:

Blogger Teeth Maestro said...

WTG - Honestly how did you ever imagine you would not pull it off - Awesome, I await the video

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great! will be waiting for the audio!

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey funny sexy man...humour in an aphrodisiac and a potent one at that.
bet there many a l'hori chikie weeping into her long-blonde-blowdried-hair-covered pillow at night, smearing it with hot tears and melting makeup. weeping and sighing and cursing my name "sami i lowe you, vhy are you being tha may-reed? but vhy?"

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought you were "Improvisational" comedian. Isn't the case ? Please reply.

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aik Kahani sunata hun..

Barson pehle aik shaks ne khub safar kiya phir shikari bana phir lakarhara aur phir kuch aur phir kuch..bus koi kaam poora na kiya

Jis chiz ko woh bahir talash kerta tha, woh us ke ander thi..

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was there! The show was pretty good. But I think everyone was kinda taken in... everyone was expecting your show to be a G-rated one, not what it actually turned out to be - was wondering if other guys at Black Fish stop you from all those raunchy acts? The earlier show at LUMS was far better IMHO.

3:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See I told you, you don’t have a ting to worry about ;)

4:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey sami...congratulations dude...glad to hear about the success....oh and if you want to know my technique for relaxing before a show, I have sex with all my band members. twice.

10:22 PM  
Blogger KM said...

yay!
sami you got ur wish1
you made smart people laugh!

now if you can just make ur new work place laugh at ur jokes, ur set!

tell em about the sharks!
:D
then ull look smart too!

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home